In 2013, to incentivise front-line support services and reward the projects who embraced the NUM Scheme we developed a National Ugly Mugs Star Project accreditation. This promoted good practice for the benefit of all members and those using the services of organisations.
Projects that kept to the Six Pillars of NUM Good Practice (outlined below):
- Reporting any incidents reported to you to NUM using the online form.
- Ensuring that your workers/volunteers are aware of the Scheme and how to make a report and disseminate alerts to sex workers.
- Using NUM alerts rather than producing your own.
- Taking our mini leaflets with you on outreach and displaying NUM promotional material in drop-ins.
- Signing up your service users as individual members.
- Raising awareness amongst local parlours/establishments and encouraging them to become members.
Each organisation received a certificate and a “Star project” banner for their website, alongside awards which were presenting at our 2013 ceremony.
Update: The Research and Development (R&D) Team will be reviving this accreditation project to ensure that organisations are responsive to their needs.